Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Job Search is Scary

by Jake

Pandora station: Arcade Fire

Days have been coming and going in the ongoing progression toward graduation (May 1) and my first full-time job in Student Affairs (TBD).  That's basically the only way I can describe it.  One day ends and another begins with a new set of to-dos and a list of cool jobs to apply for.  With school days approaching their (terminal?) end, at least that to-do list will begin to feature "go to a museum" rather than "type a paper about some higher ed topic". 

The work doesn't stop, though.  Every day I encounter a college that I hadn't thought of or considered for employment and they happen to have a job in one of my interest areas; career counseling, residence life, student activities, admissions, academic advising.  With every new job discovery comes a new sense of urgency that I must apply for this job today or I will not be considered.  Rarely is this actually true, but I have certainly applied for a few jobs (especially in ResLife) that have been posted for months without an end date, but have already moved forward with the interview process.

I am a nostalgic person, clearly, so leaving home, family, and friends is a difficult pill to swallow.  I think I've consumed it, though.  It's become clear that it is unlikely I will be in Pittsburgh this time next year (or in a few months), so I just have to suck it up and think about the benefits that come with a new experience.  As I've written on my personal blog in the past, I have fallen in love with the idea of leaving on several occasions.  This feeling can certainly come and go with the coming and going of actual opportunities.  I think it's just easy for me to think about leaving now because I don't have any interviews on my plate at the moment, so there's no tangible thought of "what would it be like to live in _____".

It's scary to start something new.  It's exciting, too.  Starting over, finding new friends, creating a new life, these things are all invigorating and exhausting.  On one hand, I know that I'll miss my friends, church, family, and life in Pittsburgh.  On the other hand, I can't wait to check out a new music scene and hopefully be hundreds of miles away from any performance by Motley Crue or the Clarks.

The most important thing I'll say today is that you should be excited about the job and location every time you apply.  The thought of moving would be a whole lot scarier if I were applying for jobs I didn't love in cities I wasn't excited about living in.  Sure, 40 hours of your life is a long time so you should enjoy your job, but even the coolest job won't get me to Cleveland.  I'm only applying for jobs I'd enjoy in cities that I'd love.  I know that if I want a change I can always come back in a few years, but I'd rather hold on to that chance of falling in love with somewhere new.

No comments:

Post a Comment