Wednesday, February 9, 2011

An Introduction of Sorts

by Jake

Today's Pandora station:  The Strokes

Oh hello!  My name is Jake.  You can read about me in the About Jake section, naturally.

Today is Wednesday, the first of my three-day week as an intern in CMU's Career and Professional Development Center.  It's hard to drag myself out of bed on Wednesdays (you know, my Monday).  I don't have to get up early for anything Sat-Tues, so Wednesday is the toughest.  I also bike to work, or walk in the winter, so the single-digit temperatures today made my electric blanket seem like heaven this morning.  There's no better way to become alert in the morning than by walking a mile and a half in 8 degree breezes, though.  I think that's the main reason I can avoid coffee all day!

Today is not like normal Wednesday because my schedule is full of appointments with students preparing for tomorrow's career fair, the Employment Opportunities Conference (EOC).  I've been busy all day since my first appointment at 9am and I'll be working til the (my) bell at 3:30.  My appointments today are almost exclusively to help students prepare their resume for tomorrow's phenomenon that is a career fair.  Most of the students today met with me last week and wanted to schedule time to review their adjustments, so the second half of our appointment is usually an explanation of what tomorrow will be like.

Shake hands.  Smile.  Eye contact  Suit and tie.  What's your year?  What's your major?  Why do you want to work for us?  What are some projects you've done?  Scan the room.  Map out your route.  Make sure to do your research!  You'd better know what internships Google is offering before you give them your "elevator speech"!

It's a game, the career search.  Not only do you have to do impressive things to put on the resume, but you have to present it well, along with a cover letter, then clean up and present yourself well at the career fair.  Maybe then you'll get an interview! 

Then there's the interview.  Do it all again.  Be ready to map out your biggest strength and weakness.  Think about a time you faced adversity and overcame.  Can I talk about when I played on a sprained ankle in the state championship?  Or maybe when I was paired with the lazy kid in class for our final project?  I don't know if "not killing your partner" really counts as "overcoming adversity"...

It's all a game that we have to master.  We are all salesmen when it comes to the job market, which is why everyone has to be able to communicate well, no matter your field. 

The most interesting aspect for me is that I'm on both sides right now.  I'm telling students how to prepare for the job search, but I'm job-searching myself as graduation approaches.  I look forward to sharing part of that journey with you, so you might figure out your own path.

Give the advice, then take your own.  Hopefully I'm giving good advice.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Jake. I especially like your ability to demystify all that is "the elevator pitch"...

    Shake hands. Smile. Eye contact. Suit and tie. What's your year? What's your major? Why do you want to work for us? What are some projects you've done? Scan the room. Map out your route. Make sure to do your research!

    Many job seekers struggle with what to say...but this is a great road map.

    ReplyDelete