Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Secret to Finding the Perfect Job

by Jake

No Pandora today, instead I'm streaming the new Manchester Orchestra album, Simple Math.

Okay, everyone, I'm ready to share the secret.  I've been searching, applying, and interviewing for full time Student Affairs jobs since December.  I've been following SA Tweeters, reading their blogs, and reading the blogs they read.  I've had my ear to the ground and turned over every stone (except heavy ones).  At the end of the day, I've found an answer...

There is no secret.

Sorry, y'all, but it's the truth.  Construct the perfect resume.  Write the perfect cover letter.  Apply to the perfect job in the perfect location.  At the end of the day, you will be united with the right job.

There is no perfection.

Every job will have its downside to go with its upside.  Every location will lack something.  Every supervisor will have a flaw.  There really is no such thing as a perfect job.  Sorting through those flaws to find the best fit is how we determine which job is the right job.

Every resume and cover letter will be viewed differently.  One person on the search committee may value a creative resume with superb writing while another will be in search of facts and content.  One person may prefer your experience as an RA while others may be more interested in your first prize for raising sheep for wool during your internship in Scotland.  Why put in the job description that I should have a sense of humor if I can't make sarcastic remarks in my cover letter?  Dates on the right or the left?  Who cares!

This internship is ending and I'd like to share the one thought that reigns supreme in the career search and the search for meaning at-large:

Be true to yourself.

Let's face it, search committees can sift through the BS, so why bother giving it to them.  If you don't want to work by yourself, then apply for jobs where you'll work on teams.  If you can't stand working outside the city, then apply to jobs in metropolitan areas.  If you are allergic to cats, then avoid the apprenticeship with the cat farm down the street.

You'll land the job that fits because you genuinely want to do that work in that place with those people.  Some of us may have to settle for a less-glamorous job at the start, but keep shooting higher and higher because that great fit may only be an application away.

1 comment:

  1. Graduated with my Undergrad in 09' and finishing my MBA this coming August, I have yet to find my career. What do we have to do? Should we go back to our High School Guidance Counselors? Good Luck, and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete