Friday, February 18, 2011

Searching

by Jake

Today's Pandora station: Tokyo Police Club

The job hunt is in the early stages for me these days.  In putting together cover letters and revising my resume, I find nothing but stress.  For me, it gets to the point where I just give up, say "this is good enough", and pray for a response.  When all is said and done, I will be matched up with the right job and there's not much more I can do besides what I'm already doing.

Lot's of confidence coming from an intern who gives out this advice, right?  The fact is, though, that we don't have all of the answers!  I met with a pair of students today looking for internships this summer and felt those exact sentiments.  There's no simple 3-click method to magically find a pool of jobs you should apply for.  We have to get out there, do the leg work, and find them.  We have to find the institutions we want to work for and keep an eye on their job postings.  If that means that you go to Lockheed Martin's website every day starting 6 months before summer, then that's what you have to do.  If that means that I'll look on the University of Washington's website and find nothing I'm qualified for once a month for the past two years, then that's it.  No one's going to do it for us or just call us up and say "hey, I know you never applied for this perfect job, but do you want it?".

So, it takes a lot of faith.  A lot of faith in the system that your qualifications will get you the right job.  A lot of faith in yourself that you can find that job and market yourself well.  A lot of faith that some luck will point you to the right website or person on the right day.  We can't get too far without doing anything, but we won't get everywhere all by ourselves, either.

Days like today need some good tunes, which is why I pickedTokyo Police Club.  Upbeat and fun.  It's so nice outside and I can't wait to feel upbeat and fun on my bike ride home!  At the end of the day, whether I have a job in line or not, I can still ride my bike down the street and enjoy the cool breeze.  In the moment, that ride will feel better than any dental plan or 401k could.

No comments:

Post a Comment